Are you looking through a collection of films and wondering what program to assemble them in? You will not need commercial and often very expensive video editing software for this – free solutions will be enough to start with. How to edit videos?
The best free movie editing programs
- DaVinci Resolve – Windows, Linux and Mac OS
- HitFilm Express – Windows and MacOS
- Lightworks – Windows, Linux and Mac OS
- Kdenlive – Linux, Windows, MacOSX and FreeBSD
- ShotCut – Windows, Linux and Mac OS
- Avidemux – Windows, Linux and Mac OS
- YouTube video editor – work in a web browser
- iMovie – Mac OS and iOS
- Quik – Android and iOS
- CyberLink PowerDirector – Android and iOS
Create and edit movies in Windows 10
Using the video editor in the Photos application, you can create video slideshows that combine photos and videos with music, movement and text. You can even add animated 3D effects, such as sparks or fireworks!
To get started, open the Photos app and select New movie> Automatic movie with music or Custom movie with music.
Editing video recordings on an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Mac
The Photos application allows you to change the length of the video or release it directly on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Mac.
Crop video recording
Is the video too long to send in the Mail or Messages app? Or maybe you just want to share only a fragment of it with your friends or family? In the Photos application, you can change the start and end time to shorten the recorded video.
Crop video recordings on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Open the Photos app and tap the video you want to edit.
- Tap Edit.
- Drag the sliders on both sides of the video timeline to change the start time and end time. To preview the trimmed video, tap the play button.
- Tap Done and then Save video or Save video as new clip.
- With the Save video option, you can save only the cropped recording. The option Save video as new clip lets you keep the original and additionally trimmed version in the library.
- Crop video recordings on a Mac
- Open the Photos application and double-click the video you want to edit.
- Hover over the video, click the Action button, and choose Trim.
- Drag the yellow sliders on both sides of the video timeline to change the start time and end time. To preview the trimmed video, click the play button.
- Click Trim.
- Undo trimming
On iPhone, iPad or iPod touch: open trimmed video. Tap Edit. Tap Restore, then Restore original *.
On a Mac: open the trimmed video. Click the Edit button. Click the Action button and select Reset Trimming.
* If you are editing a video created with the Save video as a new clip feature, tapping Reset Trimming will undo all changes made, such as adjusting exposure or adding a filter. However, the video will not be restored to its original length.